June 25, 2021

Official Briefing: Delivering on the People’s Priorities

10 things we are doing to deliver on the People’s Priorities to level up across the UK.

  1. Got Brexit done, fulfilling our promise to the British people. Five years on from the vote to leave the EU, we have got Brexit done and taken back control of our money, laws, borders and waters. We have installed a new points-based immigration system, negotiated trade deals with the EU and 68 other countries – including our first post-Brexit free trade agreement with Australia – and begun negotiations to join the $9 trillion Pacific trade area.
  2. Delivering the biggest cash boost in history for the NHS and enshrining it into law, safeguarding it for future generations.We are investing an additional £33.9 billion in frontline NHS services every year by 2023-24, the largest and longest funding settlement in NHS history, and we are also building 48 new hospitals, upgrading 20 more, and have got a record 124,078 doctors and 304,542 nurses working in the NHS.
  3. Continuing the rollout of our historic vaccination programme, saving lives and keeping people safe. Four in five adults in the UK have now received a first vaccine dose –with three in five having also received a second dose. Everyone aged over 18 in England has now been invited to receive the vaccine, and we will offer a first dose to all adults by the 19th July, two weeks ahead of schedule.
  4. Delivering one of the most comprehensive economic responses in the world to protect jobs and livelihoods through the pandemic. Over this year and the last, we are providing £407 billion of support for families, jobs and businesses, more than almost any other country in the world – including through our furlough scheme, grants for the self-employed, and business loan schemes.
  5. Giving our police the powers and resources they need to cut crime and keep our streets safe. We are delivering a £636 million funding boost for police forces this year, including £400 million to continue recruiting 20,000 extra police officers by 2023, of which we have already delivered the first 8,871. Our PCSC Bill will deliver new powers for the police to cut crime, and reform our justice system to make sure criminals spend longer in jail.
  6. Launching our New Plan for Immigration to control our borders. Our New Plan for Immigration is a step change in our posture towards illegal migration and the criminals that facilitate it. It will be fair but firm, based on three objectives: to better protect and support those in genuine need of refuge; to deter illegal entry and break the business model of the people smugglers that enable it; and to remove more easily those with no right to be here.
  7. Boosting school funding by £14.4 billion over three years, giving every child a world-class education. We are giving schools a £2.2 billion funding boost this year, with every secondary school receiving £5,150 per pupil and every primary school receiving £4,000 per pupil. By 2022-23 the total schools budget will have increased by £14 billion compared to 2019-20, the biggest increase in a decade.
  8. Bringing back 5 per cent mortgages, creating a new generation of homeowners. First time buyers or current homeowners looking to buy a house of up to £600,000 will need a deposit of just 5 per cent to secure a mortgage under this scheme, with the Government offering lenders the guarantee they need to provide mortgages that cover the other 95 per cent.
  9. Setting out a Ten Point Plan to unleash a green industrial revolution, creating jobs as we build back greener. The Prime Minister’s Ten Point Plan will mobilise £12 billion of government investment to create and support up to 250,000 highly skilled green jobs in the UK, and spur over three times as much private sector investment by 2030, helping us to meet our world leading target of being net zero by 2050.
  10. Delivering a £24.1 billion funding boost for our nation’s defence, creating jobs and keeping our country safe. This is the largest investment in our nation’s defence since the end of the Cold War and will help to create 10,000 more jobs every year across the whole of the UK. We have also published an Integrated Review of our national security, foreign policy and approach to the global economy – setting out the Prime Minister’s vision for 2030 and how we will use the full range of our international policy to achieve it.