Mark was first elected as the MP for Hertford and Stortford in 2001, and has been re-elected at every subsequent general election. In 2015 he secured over half of the total vote and a majority of over 21,000 votes.
A RECORD OF ACTION
Mark is a hard working, with a record of action. In recent years he has:
- Secured £4m for the installation of superfast broadband across Hertfordshire
- Won online compensation for rail commuters; and lobbied for new rolling stock on the Hertford Loop
- Led a cross-party campaign for new rolling stock and track infrastructure on West Anglia Route
- Campaigned in support of local carers in the community.
- Worked with local GPs and NHS to improve overstretched GP services
- Led a mentoring campaign for local students to help older people get online.
- Campaigned against a second runway at Stansted Airport.
- Helped save Hertford Post Office from closure; and three others sub post offices, including in Bishop's Stortford.
- Campaigned for homes to be matched by infrastructure where new developments are proposed.
- Mark is a former Government Minister, serving as Business & Enterprise minister 2010-2012; then as Housing Minister 2012-13.
- Mark was appointed as the Prime Minister’s Trade Envoy to the Nordic & Baltic nations in 2014 and to Brazil in 2016. He actively supports firms locally and nationally to export more.
- Mark is a member of the Communities & Local Government Select Committee, working on issues such as housing and planning, social care, local services and community relations.
Mark lives with his wife Lesley in Much Hadham, at the heart of the constituency. Born in Cornwall on 12 June 1962, and educated at Truro School and Reading University, Mark is a Chartered Surveyor by profession. Mark ran his own business for ten years before entering politics. Mark and Lesley are keen theatre and cinema goers. When in the constituency he enjoys walking in the beautiful countryside of East Hertfordshire.
Postcode to constituency lookup provided by They Work For You.