Tobias was born in New York, USA in 1966. He completed his first degree at Loughborough University and then spent five years in the British Army with the Royal Green Jackets before completing an MBA. Tobias then moved to the London Stock Exchange where he was a Senior Business Development Manager. He was first elected as the MP for Bournemouth East in 2005. He lives in Holdenhurst Village with his wife, Hannah, a solicitor, and their son Alex, who was born in October 2008.
- Worked for the former Defence Secretary, the Rt Hon Tom King CH MP
- Campaigned for Rudolph Gilliani's mayoral election in New York, 1998
- Secured a swing to the Conservatives of 2.3% in Worsely, General Election 2001
- Elected into parliament as the MP for Bournemouth East in 2005
- Rose to Opposition Whip in December 2005
- Appointed Shadow Minister for Culture, Media & Sport in July 2007
- Authored a publication to advocate the creation of a UK stabilization force, now Government policy
- Appointed PPS to the Defence Secretary, the Rt Hon Liam Fox MP in June 2010
- He is the Vice President of the Conservative Middle East Council and Chairman of the APPG for Afghanistan
- He has led social action projects in Rwanda, Bosnia and Bangladesh
- Appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs in 2014
Campaigning in Bournemouth East
It is Tobias' priority to raise the profile of Bournemouth on Britain's map. He has set out an ambitious master strategy for the town to achieve by 2050, which is attracting significant public sector investment.
Tobias piloted one of the Conservatives' first social action projects with the restoration of St Mary’s Church, Boscombe, in October 2005. Since then he has become an active supporter of Bournemouth's third sector organisations which make up the fabric of the town’s community.
Tobias has successfully put a stop to plans which would have built thousands of homes on Bournemouth’s green belt.
He is also a passionate campaigner for daylight saving time. This simple change would have numerous benefits for the town’s economy and people's well-being, not to mention nation-wide.
Postcode to constituency lookup provided by They Work For You.