I have lived locally my entire life, bar time away from London for university, and I am proud to represent the area where I grew up.
Before parliament I was a member of the London Assembly and even further back, I was leader of Brent Council. Off the back of this extensive experience, I have been a member of the Housing, Communities and Local Government select committee since I was first elected in 2010.
I am a member of the Backbench Business Committee, which is responsible for scheduling debates in Parliament outside of Government time, and a member of Procedure Committee, which examines how the House of Commons functions and makes recommendations to the House.
Having being returned in 2015 and again in 2017, a few notable campaigns include:
- Providing assistance to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital for their regeneration works.
- Providing assistance to build the new Accident and Emergency department at Northwick Park Hospital.
- Made sure that all primary schools in Harrow have been expanded to ensure that every child has a place.
- Helping to run All-Party Groups in parliament – and in some cases being the founding member – for Jewish, Hindu, Jain and Muslim interests alongside defending Christian values – ensuring all Harrow East communities are heard.
- Leading the fight for compensation for people affected by the Equitable Life scandal.
- Engaging with the police and residents as we became a tri-borough for policing, assisting residents in individual concerns and cases, and facilitating public meetings along the way.
- Campaigning against caste legislation and applying pressure on the government to repeal it as a protected characteristic.
- Public health policy, notably smoking and cancer, as chair of the APPG on Smoking and Health.
- Defending the nation of Israel every step of the way as an officer of Conservative Friends of Israel.
My track record for the community is strong and I will continue campaigning on the issues that matter to Harrow East.
Postcode to constituency lookup provided by They Work For You.